Tuesday, March 31

Punctuation

This is different than my usual posting topics, but I still think I'm going to post it anyway.

Anyone ever have trouble with finding the right sentence punctuation--particularly when deciding between an exclamation mark and a period? Sometime the period comes off as condescending but other times the exclamation mark sounds much too enthusiastic or as if you're nearly shouting. I find this is largely the case in online writing like blogs, emails, or even texting.

Example:

I hope her hair looks better this time.

I hope her hair looks better this time!

There almost needs to be something between that would connote a strong statement, but not quite to the point of exclaiming it--just purporting it. A purportion point would suffice I should say.

2 comments:

J. Thomas Hunter said...

Hey Leatherneck,
You're raising another issue that I've come across before. I read a lot of old books, and often old writing is considered priggish. So, I'm particularly sensitive to coming off as a snob or otherwise condescending.

It's tough from your example to get a real flavor for what you're trying to stress, but I would recommend italicizing, perhaps. Italicizing can be helpful sometimes, but I've seen people italicize incorrectly and make a sentence even more confusing than they had intended!

If, for example, you italicized "better" in the sentence, I as a reader would get the impression that her hair looked great the previous time, and you're hoping to see even better hair this time. If you italicize "this" then I'd think that last time, her hair looked crummy. If you italicize "looks" then I'd think that perhaps her hair smelled good last time, despite its frizziness.

I could do this all day, but I think you get my point.

In the meantime, if you find a way to type that symbol, share the knowledge. Maybe we can start a grammar revolution!

Take it light, buddy!

Amanda Zimmer said...

Interesting...

What does ... have to say? hm.